Pearls have been passed down through generations of women, and they frequently become a treasured family heirloom. They’re exquisitely beautiful and have been treasured for years by everyone from royalty to, well, us. Ensure that your pearls last long enough to achieve heirloom status by following these four simple pearl maintenance tips:
1. Last on, first off. Your glorious strand of pearls should be the last thing you put on. They are truly the final touch to your outfit. Avoid applying makeup, hairspray, lotion or perfume once you have put your pearls on. Pearls should be the first item you remove when you return home, so that you can wipe them with a soft cloth and put them away properly.
2. Store them flat. While it’s perfectly acceptable and normal for most necklaces to be hung on a lovely jewelry display, your pearl strands should not be kept that way. Store your pearl necklaces flat to prevent them from stretching, causing damage to the silk thread.
3. Dedicate a space just for your pearls. Due to their delicate nature and soft exterior, pearls are prone to scratches. It’s important to store them separately in fabric-lined compartments. Now might be the best time to shop for a proper jewelry box to display and protect your gorgeous gemstone and pearl jewelry!
4. Wear your pearls often. Pearls do best in a moist environment. You don’t often hear that about jewelry, but it’s true! Wearing them frequently keeps them from drying out, which makes sense – they came from the sea! It’s important to know what to do with your pearls, but also to enjoy them.
Take a page out of Holly Golightly’s book and wear your pearls even for events that don’t require you to dress up. They – and you – will add an air of sophistication to the day!
It truly does not get much more classic than pearls. Jackie Kennedy was famous for her triple strand and These exquisite keepsakes manage to be dainty and sweet, yet bold at the same time. (This might explain why they’re a popular choice for weddings!)
Cultured pearls are quite delicate and require the right kind of care. They can’t be maintained the same way as other jewelry.
How to Care for and Clean Your Pearls
1. After every wear, make sure to wipe your pearls with a soft cloth. This care helps prevent any buildup of skin oils or other substances that may have come into contact with your pearl jewelry as you wore it.
2. Clean with a soft, damp cloth only when needed. If your pearl strand has individual pearls that are visibly stained, you can mix together some lukewarm water and mild dish soap or baby shampoo. Then, dip a soft cloth in the solution and wipe the pearls. Don’t ever submerge a pearl necklace in water, as it will cause damage that will weaken the silk thread.
3. Let your string of pearls dry completely before storing. Again, this will help to preserve the delicate nature of the silk string.
4. Take them to your jeweler once a year. While you should wear your pearls often, all that body oil doesn’t do the silk they are threaded on any favors. Make sure to have your jeweler check the integrity of your pearl bracelets and necklaces at least once a year. They can also give them a thorough, safe cleaning. Click here to make an appointment for a cleaning.
Never clean pearls with a steam or ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. Both of these methods are extremely likely to damage the outer layer of the pearl.
Overall, they don’t require much more care than a house plant, and your pearls will bring you joy for many years!
Jewelry styles come and go, but some are totally classy and timeless. So, what should you be wearing? Below are some genuinely amazing pieces that will have you accessorizing like a pro!
Get All Choked Up
Gorgeous chokers from the 80’s are more of a statement piece than the ribbon chokers and leather numbers that were all the rage last year. From fine wire chokers to chunky chain links, these are a great way to get heavy with your favorite metals. We love this fun diamond and white gold choker that is comfortable to wear and classy with anything.
Elizabeth Taylor Inspired Pieces
This woman, she was all about the jewelry and boy did she sparkle. Take a cue from the icon herself when it come to making anything in your wardrobe stand out. Diamond and emerald pendants can really make your face pop, no matter what color you are wearing. Just be sure to go big or go home when it comes to following in the jeweled footsteps of Elizabeth Taylor.
Diamonds Are A Girl’s Best Friend
The classic diamond pendant necklace with a T-shirt really says, “I’m fabulous.” You can go all out on a necklace like this without breaking the bank. This is a great way to make a statement even in jeans and a sport jacket. It falls delicately below the hollow of the throat, and yet clears the collar on a basic tee shirt. It’s really a piece you won’t want to take off.
Off The Cuff
Cuff bracelets are all the rage when it comes to dressing up your latest trends. We think this vintage Moroccan sterling silver cuff is an excellent example of the pretty handiwork. What do you think?